What is an engine and parts lubricant?Lubricants are used to reduce friction between moving parts or to reduce the resistance from fixed parts. They are produced by refining crude oil.
What is a lubricant: role and function?Lubricants are essential for any part requiring lubrication.
• Improves engine efficiency by reducing friction
• Protects against wear and prolongs life
• Keeps the engine clean
• Cools the parts
What are the advantages of KRAFTMAX lubricants?The KRAFTMAX lubricants are without several advantages;
• They facilitate cold starts and reduce wear (20 to 30% of engine wear occurs between ignition and optimal engine temperature)
• They increase engine life
• They promote fuel economy by reducing friction between moving parts
• They contribute to better engine performance
Why is the viscosity of an automotive lubricant important?The “viscosity” of a lubricant refers to its ability to resist flow. There are two cases, either the viscosity is high or it is low: the lower the viscosity (0W/5W), the more friction is reduced, providing energy savings. Conversely, high viscosity will create a thick film between moving parts for maximum engine protection.
How should you select the viscosity of a lubricant?It is strongly advised that you refer to the instructions provided by the manufacturer of your equipment or your car in the maintenance book.
How to select the best grease or oil viscosity?First, it is necessary to take into account the viscosity of the base oil. It should be chosen based on several criteria: rotation speed, operating temperature and load.
Warning! There are two types of viscosity: high and low. KRAFTMAX recommends the following for these two cases:
– Grease with a base oil with low viscosity is intended for applications operating at low temperatures.
– Grease with a base oil with high viscosity is advisable for demanding applications and high temperatures.
What are the specific standards required for a vehicle lubricant?Each of the standards in the automotive sector designates lubricant characteristics and performance. ACEA (Association of European Automobile Manufacturers) performances and manufacturer approvals help you choose the lubricant that best suited to your needs in compliance with the technical requirements of your vehicle.
Advice on how to read KRAFTMAX lubricant labelsKRAFTMAX product labels inform you about all of the characteristics of the selected lubricant. However, it is necessary to understand the codes and names used. The first information you find is the viscosity grade:
– For industrial oils, the viscosity is expressed by its ISO VG number
– For transmission oils, the viscosity is expressed as a SAE J306 grade
– For engine oils, the viscosity is expressed as a SAE J300 grade
Did you know?
The API standards have the same purpose as the ACEA standards, but are generally used more abroad. They are divided into two categories “C” for heavy Diesel vehicles and “S” for gasoline vehicles. The further the letter following the S or C is in the alphabet, the more recent the specification.
Material Safety Data Sheet: exact definition of an MSDSMSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) are documents detailing the risks and safe handling of chemicals.
The sheets describe the procedures to set up to handle the product safely and what to do in case of an accident (contact with eyes, skin, inhalation, ingestion …).
It is strongly recommended that you read these sheets before using the product.